The Conely Branch Library on Detroit's Southwest side is one of the legacy of libraries that Andrew Carnegie bequeathed to towns all across America in the late 19th and early 20th century.
Named for Edwin Conely, a prominent local attorney and a member of the Library Commission, the branch library opened on September 15, 1913 in a rural area of Detroit. Over the course of the next thirteen years, the area grew so much that it was necessary to add a large room to the rear of the original library building, thus ensuring that the library could best serve the community for decades to come.
By March of 2000, the years of constant use had affected the building to the point that it required extensive restoration. Some of the capital improvement funds made available by Detroit voters were used to restore this wonderful old building to its former glory and to bring it into the new century.
Today, Detroit can be proud of this Carnegie Library. Not only is it one of an ever-diminishing number of Carnegie libraries still in operation, but one of the few that have been completely restored. The flavor of the period is alive for all to see. Carnegie structures were the first to mark the beginning of the modern library system and their continuation renews the legacy of the past while affirming a commitment to the future.
The Conely Branch has a collection of materials in Polish, Spanish and Vietnamese.