The Detroit Public Library (DPL) is accepting applications to create a Substitute Librarian pool. Applications will be accepted continuously until otherwise noted. Applications will remain on file for two (2) years from date received or last submitted.
- Position Type
- Part Time
- Various locations throughout the Detroit area
- Salary Range
- $20.00- $25.00 per hour, no benefits
- Job Family
- Bargaining Unit
The following duties and responsibilities ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by substitutes, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- High level of commitment to provide superb customer service to library users of all ages.
- Assists customers in the use of online resources.
- Educates patrons in the use of library resources.
- Provides reference and reader's advisory service to the general public.
- Researches and answers questions from the public and assists them in the use of the library.
- Provides reference services utilizing online catalogs, Internet, online databases and eBooks.
- Provides bibliographic and computer instruction to customers.
- Works on projects as assigned.
- Willingness to work a varied schedule including nights and weekends.
Successful candidates will meet the following requirements:
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited institution, related degree or equivalent experience.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of a diverse urban community.
- 3-5 years of experience as a reference librarian
- Experience in the use of technology
- Able to effectively instruct class sessions
Required Licenses or Certifications:
- Must possess a valid State of Michigan Driver’s License
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision sufficient to read various materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
Applications will be screened by appropriate department representatives on an as-needed basis. Qualified applicants who best meet the needs of the organization will be contacted for an interview.