Wedding Photography at Detroit Public Library
The Detroit Public Library DOES NOT host wedding ceremonies or receptions. However, we welcome wedding parties to take pre-ceremony or post-ceremony pictures throughout Main Library. Photography and/or videography happen during normal business hours.
To ensure a safe, secure and enjoyable experience for both wedding parties and other customers simultaneously using Detroit Public Library the following guidelines apply.
- Wedding photography and/or videography in the Library is by permission only. Please direct requests for approval to the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Requests must be submitted a minimum of 2 weeks in advance. More advance notice will be appreciated.
- Include in your request whom to contact, that person’s cell phone and/or land line telephone number(s) and e-mail address and details about group size, equipment to be used, desired location, and desired schedule.
- The Library will respond within 2 – 3 business days.
- Requests will be handled on first come, first served basis.
- If the Library is available only one or two events will be scheduled each day. Two events will not be scheduled at the same time.
- Unloading and loading vehicles are included in the event schedule.
- On arrival, wedding parties must check in with DPL Security at either Cass or Woodward entrances to Main Library.
- Wedding party vehicles must arrive, unload or load, and immediately vacate the entrance area. No Library property may be used for parking including but not limited to Main Library’s Cass Circle or the Woodward entrance to Main Library.
- Photography and/or videography cannot disrupt DPL operations including, but not limited to, public access to the building and provision of library services to the public.
- Members of the wedding party under the influence of alcohol/illegal substances will not be allowed inside the building. Other beverages must be in spill-proof containers.
- No smoking in any interior area or immediately outside entrances to the Library. Smoking permitted in designated exterior areas only.
- DPL customers and/or staff may not be photographed or recorded without a signed permission form from each customer and/or staff member.
- No Library property may be obstructed, moved, re-arranged, removed, or covered including holiday decorations.
- Flash photography, lit candles and other open flames are not permitted.
- All items including equipment, purses, parcels, bags and other personal items are subject to inspection by DPL Security. Bags over 12 x 24 x 9 inches are prohibited.
- No items should be left unattended. Detroit Public Library is not responsible for unattended items.
- Noise levels including personal conversations and cell phones must be kept to minimum.
- All members of the wedding part must comply with “Standards for Library Behavior” and all laws (including, but not limited to occupancy limits, public assembly regulations, fire and building codes) where applicable.
- Photography and/or videography is only for personal, non-commercial use. The Library reserves the right to request copies of photographs and/or recordings.
If a prior reservation was not made or requested, the Library reserves the right to refuse entry to wedding parties.
Customers choosing to violate any of these guidelines may be subject to immediate removal, depending on the violation. Violations perceived as criminal may result in arrest and/or prosecution.
Applicants denied permission, refused entry, or removed may appeal in writing to the Director for Public Services, Detroit Public Library, 5201 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48202.
December 21, 2017